I’ve mentioned before how much I love fruit in baking, too. I try to always have berries of some sort in the freezer, meaning a fruity cake or luscious dessert is that step closer. I’ve gone with raspberries for these baby cakes — and added gorgeously perfumed Mediterranean rosewater. You only need a tiny amount but it goes well with the berries and the pistachios.
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|1 ½ tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Ground cardamom|
|½ tsp||Rosewater (Main)|
|50 g||Ground almonds|
|200 g||Natural yoghurt|
|1 cup||Frozen raspberries (Main)|
|2 Tbsp||Pistachios, finely chopped|
Cream cheese frosting
|100 g||Cream cheese, softened (Main)|
|1 tsp||Freeze-dried raspberries, powder (Main)|
- Heat oven to 185C and line 12 muffin/small cake tins with patty cases.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder and cardamon over the butter mixture.
- Fold together slightly, then add rosewater, almonds, yoghurt and raspberries. Mix gently until all combined.
- Scoop tablespoons of mixture into prepared muffin tins, and sprinkle pistachios over.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden and leave to cool in the tin.
- Serve with natural yoghurt.
Optional cream cheese frosting
- Stir all ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- Spoon teaspoons of frosting on to each cake once cool.