This original recipe put the raw ingredients in the pasta before baking. We decided to make a traditional cooked sauce and also added extra herbs.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|500 g||Beef mince (Main)|
|1 tsp||Dry basil|
|1 tsp||Dried oregano|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|250 g||Cottage cheese|
|1 cup||Mozzarella cheese|
|½ cup||Parmesan cheese|
|400 g||Egg lasagne|
|425 g||Italian tomatoes|
|2 Tbsp||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat olive oil over low heat in frying pan. Add finely chopped onion, crushed garlic and finely chopped stalk celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not coloured.
- Add lean minced beef, dry basil and dried oregano and cook until the mince changes colour.
- Add crushed and sieved tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Preheat oven to 170 degC fan bake.
- Mix cheeses together. Place a quarter of the mince into a greased 33 x 19cm baking dish.
- Cover with a layer of egg lasagne, a quarter of the Italian-style tomatoes and a quarter of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers until all the ingredients are used up.
- Mix breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup grated parmesan and chopped parsley and scatter over top. Dot with butter and bake for 40 minutes until brown.
Cook's tip:Get the baked lasagne out to rest for at least 15 minutes before you serve. It will hold together well after this resting period. Serve with a green salad as a side. This dish always tastes better the next day and is perfect for making ahead of time.