This is my version of Italian giardiniera, or vinegar pickled vegetables. They are great with barbecued or panfried pork, chicken or beef; with cheese in a sandwich or as part of a salad. They are also good with boiled potatoes and crumbled feta. This makes more than you will need but they will keep for a week in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.
For the pickled vegetables
|1 medium||Carrot, peeled and cut into thin sticks|
|100 g||Zucchini, thinly sliced|
|1||Capsicum, red, or half a red and half an orange or yellow capsicum, cored, deseeded and sliced thinly (Main)|
|1 small||Eggplant, thinly sliced, slices halved|
|1 small||Fennel bulb, coarse outer leaves removed, halved, cored and sliced 0.5cm|
|100 g||Beans, stalk ends cut off|
|1 cup||White wine vinegar|
|1||Red chilli, thinly sliced|
For the pork chops and potatoes
|3 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving|
|6||Pork loin chops (Main)|
|1 small handful||Sage|
|2 cloves||Garlic, roughly chopped|
|800 g||Agria potatoes, peeled, sliced 1cm thick (Main)|
|4 Tbsp||Dijon mustard|
To make the pickled vegetables
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the vegetables. Bring back to the boil and boil for 2-3 minutes or until the vegetables have softened a little. Drain well, cool and press them in a sieve with your hands to remove as much moisture as possible without breaking up the vegetables. Put the vegetables into a heatproof bowl and reserve.
- Put the vinegar, bay leaf, sugar, chilli and capers into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Immediately pour this over the reserved vegetables. Season with a little salt. Cool and reserve.
To make the pork chops and potatoes
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Put the oil, chops, sage leaves and garlic into a large bowl and toss so that everything is evenly distributed.
- Heat a large frying pan over moderate heat and place the chops side by side. Pour in the oil, sage and garlic and spread over the chops. Pan-fry on both sides for about 15 minutes until well browned and hot.
- Place in the oven for a further 15 minutes or until the fat on the chops is crisp.
- Meanwhile steam or boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water until just tender but not collapsing.
- Serve the chops with the potatoes with some of the pickled vegetables on top. Drizzle the vegetables with a little extra-virgin olive oil and serve the mustard in a small bowl on the side.
More of Ray's recipes using produce from the autumn garden