Mexican street food at its most comforting. Use this salsa fresca recipe to dip the sandwich in before toasting. So good!
|3||Agria potatoes, skin on (Main)|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1||Onion, small white|
|4||Sausages, fresh (Main)|
|6||Burger buns (Main)|
|1 cup||Iceberg lettuce, shredded|
|6 Tbsp||Sour cream|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Boil potatoes until tender. Cool completely then peel, and dice.
- Finely slice celery, onion, garlic, and chili. Sweat in a pan until translucent and fragrant. Remove mixture to a bowl and add salt and fresh pepper.
- Squeeze the meat from the casings of the sausages (traditionally fresh chorizo, but I've used 2 merguez and 2 chicken piri piri sausages) and saute in the pan, breaking the lumps into small evenly cooked pieces. Remove the meat from the pan, retaining the fat in the pan.
- Brown the cut potatoes in the sausage fat. Combine potatoes, meat, and onion mix. Season to taste.
- Cut open hamburger buns and remove some of the dough, top and bottom. Generously add sausage mix, close and liberally dip buns all over in tomato salsa. Cook in toasted sandwich maker until golden and crunchy.
- To serve, open the sandwich, add shredded iceberg lettuce and a dollop of sour cream.