This is a wonderful quick and fun dish that all ages can create. It comes from Vanessa Baxter, a former Masterchef contestant who now runs kids' cooking classes. Vanessa recommends having chopped fruit available in the fridge to encourage kids to add to their soaked oats. It will store in the fridge for three days and it makes a yummy yet healthy breakfast treat. You may even find the kids hunting for a snack of this after school too.
|1 cup||Rolled oats (Main)|
|3 Tbsp||Chia seeds|
|1 cup||Milk, regular, almond or soy|
|1 cup||Coconut milk|
|1 Tbsp||Maple syrup, pure|
|1 ½ tsp||Vanilla|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Choose a large glass bowl that will fit neatly into the fridge.
- Measure out all the ingredients, place in the bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover and pop into the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, remove and add your chosen toppings, below.
- Sliced banana
- Fresh diced seasonal fruits
- Cacao nibs, toasted seeds, toasted nuts
- Natural yoghurt
All kids can make this in the afternoons and have their own healthy breakfast ready for the following morning. Kids can add their chosen toppings.
This will keep in the fridge for 3 days. Have chopped fruit available in the fridge to encourage kids to add to their soaked oats for a nutritious healthy start to the day.