|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, medium, finely diced|
|1 clove||Garlic, finely sliced|
|400 g||Canned tomatoes, in juice|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 bunch||Oregano leaves, fresh and sliced|
|75 g||White bread, 1 large, thick slice|
|500 g||Beef mince, lean and finely minced, (Main)|
|1 tsp||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|200 g||Mozzarella cheese|
|1 to dust||Flour|
|1 splash||Olive oil|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- First, make the sauce, which can be done ahead of time. Put the oil and onion into a heavy saucepan and fry gently until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and celery and continue to fry gently for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and juice, cutting up the tomatoes with a knife in the saucepan.
- Add the water and season with sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 30 minutes, then add the oregano leaves. Set aside.
- To make the patties, tear up the bread and add the milk. Leave for a few minutes until the bread is soaked, then squeeze out and discard any excess milk.
- Put the soaked bread into a large bowl. Add the egg and mix with a fork. Add the minced beef, salt and pepper and mix lightly and thoroughly with a fork to make a soft mixture.
- Divide the mixture into 8, then form into balls. Take a sheet of greaseproof paper and lay 4 of the balls on it, pressing them down to make patties.
- Cut the mozzarella into 4 slices and lay the slices on the meat patties, leaving a margin of meat at the sides.
- Press the remaining 4 balls of meat mixture into patties and place on top of the slices of mozzarella. Press firmly down to completely enclose the mozzarella.
- Take a frying pan large enough to hold the patties in a single layer. Pour in enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and put over a moderate heat.
- Dust the patties lightly with flour and lay them in the hot pan. Fry until the patties are a rich brown on the bottom, then turn and brown the other side.
- Remove from the heat and spoon the sauce around and over the patties. Return to a gentle heat, partly cover the pan with a lid and simmer very gently for 20 minutes.