These “pies” are designed not to have pastry. They are a nutritious, quick to make and bake pie that can be adapted to suit any youngster, and they taste pretty good with a bit of tomato sauce on the side. A grown-up version may include diced chorizo, feta or blue cheese.
|2 cups||Kumara, or potato; diced (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh mixed herbs, chopped|
|100 g||Cheddar cheese, grated|
|6||Cheerio sausages (Main)|
|2 Tbsp||Breadcrumbs, or panko crumbs|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat oven to 180C. Place 6 large baking paper cups into large muffin trays and lightly grease.
- Place kumara in a pot of cold salted water, bring to the boil and gently simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Whisk eggs and milk then add kumara, courgette, herbs and half the cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mix into cups, sprinkle remaining cheese over the top then place a cheerio in the centre of each pie.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 -25 minutes.