3 egg whites ¼ tsp vanilla extract ¼ tsp cream of tartar 1 cup caster sugar 1. Heat oven to 100°C. Line two oven trays with nonstick baking paper. 2. Place egg whites, vanilla and
|¼ tsp||Vanilla essence/extract|
|¼ tsp||Cream of tartar|
|1 cup||Caster sugar (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat oven to 100 degC. Line two oven trays with nonstick baking paper.
- Place egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar in a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add one tablespoonful of the measured sugar and whisk for one minute until incorporated.
- Continue adding sugar gradually, whisking until all the sugar has been added and the mixture is glossy. This will take another two to three minutes.
- Spoon or pipe small mounds of mixture onto prepared oven trays, leaving space for the meringues to expand when properly cooked.
- Bake for 1½ hours or until meringues are dry, swapping trays around in the oven half-way through the baking time. Turn off the heat and leave meringues in the oven to cool.
- Serve meringues on a platter with an assortment of fresh berries and a bowl of whipped cream. They also go well with chocolate or raspberry sauce, lemon curd, poached stonefruit or passionfruit.