|4 tsp||Olive oil|
|½ small||Onions, finely diced|
|2||Garlic cloves, minced|
|1 piece||Ginger, 2cm, minced|
|600 g||Chicken mince (Main)|
|¼ cup||Fresh breadcrumbs|
|1 tsp||Coriander seeds, toasted until fragrant, then crushed|
|¼ tsp||Chilli flakes|
|2 tsp||Preserved lemon skin, finely chopped|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat oil to low heat in a pan. Add onion, sprinkle with salt and cook gently for a few minutes to soften. Add garlic and ginger to pan, cooking just until fragrant. Remove to a dish to cool.
- Place mince and breadcrumbs in a steep-sided mixing bowl. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon. Add spices and preserved lemon, along with cooled onion mixture. Beat again, ensuring mixture has become a bit sticky. Cook a tiny dab of mixture in hot pan then taste to check seasoning. Adjust salt to taste.
- Gently roll mixture using damp hands to form 12 meatballs. Place on a clingfilm-lined plate and chill for 20 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a pan and add meatballs. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, shaking pan frequently so that meatballs brown all over. Remove meatballs to an oven dish and bake at 180C fanbake for 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve meatballs on wilted rocket, adding a dollop of yoghurt, a sprinkle of sumac and some preserved lemon. Accompany with a steamed coucous or your favourite grain.
Make a change
Try these meatballs wrapped in warmed pita bread with sliced tomatoes, lots of mint leaves and your favourite hot chilli sauce.