For dessert we are serving up a super easy lemon trifle with a sponge that can be baked in 10 minutes. This is a great recipe to keep on hand if you need to whip a dessert in no time (which happens in our house quite often).
|1 cup||Lemon curd, see recipe below|
|4 servings||Whipped cream|
|4 slices||Trifle sponge, see recipe below|
|2||Free-range egg yolks|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|80 g||Butter, cold|
|2||Lemons, freshly zested and juiced|
|80 g||Caster sugar|
|80 g||Self raising flour|
- To serve, use 4 large tumblers. Using a ring cutter or glass, cut circles into the sponge to fit into each tumbler. The number of slices you will need will depend on the tumbler size.
- Place a slice of sponge in the bottom of each of the tumblers, followed by a ½ tsp of Limoncello in each. Layer with the curd and whipped cream. Continue to layer the sponge, curd and cream until each tumbler is filled. Note:You can crumble over shortbread biscuits to garnish if you like.
- Place all the ingredients into a pot and heat the mix gently over a low to medium heat. Keep stirring, making sure none of the mix sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- The mix will start to thicken. It is ready once the mixture can coat the back of a spoon. Place in a container and let cool. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a 24cm x 30cm Swiss roll tin with baking paper and lightly grease.
- Whip eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift the flour and fold into the sponge.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool until ready for plating.