|4 Tbsp||Poppy seeds|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|2 ¼ cups||Flour|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ cup||Sour cream|
|¼ cup||Lemon juice|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Grease a 25cm ring pan and line the base with paper. Soak the poppy seeds in the milk and juice of half a lemon for 10 minutes.
- Beat the softened butter, 1 tablespoon lemon rind and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into another bowl. Add flour to the butter mixture in two batches, along with the sour cream (alternatively use milk), poppy seeds and milk.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by combining the juice, sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and simmer for 5 minutes. Spoon the hot syrup over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven (use a skewer to poke holes for the syrup to soak into). Leave to cool in the pan.