This stew is superb, dot with generous hunks of melted blue cheese and top with a poached egg for a hearty meal perfect for those cooler days. To make it vegan-friendly, just serve the stew with vegan cheese or vegan yoghurt.
For the stew
|1 can||White beans, or cooked canned pinto, approx 250g (Main)|
|1 can||Puy lentils, approx 250g (Main)|
|2||Red capsicums, sliced|
|80 g||Onions, oirganic, diced|
|10 g||Minced garlic|
|50 g||Celery, diced|
|50 g||Carrots, diced, organic|
|50 g||Leeks, diced|
|2 g||Fennel seeds, toasted|
|2 g||Cumin seeds, toasted|
|2 g||Coriander seeds, toasted|
|5 g||Smoked paprika|
|10 g||Thyme leaves|
|10 g||Oregano leaves|
|1 can||Crushed tomatoes, approx 400g|
|50 ml||Olive oil|
|120 g||Blue cheese|
|½ cup||Fresh coriander|
|4 slices||Sourdough bread, organic, toasted|
|1||Red chilli, sliced|
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot. Sweat off onion, garlic, celery, leek and carrot until soft.
- Stir in all spices and cook for a further two minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain beans and lentils and stir in. Cook for a further 15 minutes gently so not to break up the pulses.
- Season well and at the last moment stir through oregano and thyme.
- To serve, place in a bowl with the poached egg placed on top of the stew. Crumble over blue cheese, coriander leaves and a few slices of red chilli
- Serve with toasted organic sourdough to the side.