With a gorgeous earth and surf pairing of kumara and mussels, a hint of red chilli and ginger, citrus and coriander, all these fritters need to make them perfect is a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of sea salt flakes. Serve on a slice of buttered bread with a fennel and mustard mayo, or a sweet chilli sauce. This recipe forms part of our April 22 meal planner, created in partnership with New World.
|½ cup||Self raising flour|
|1 sprinkle||Black pepper, freshly ground|
|24||Mussels, fresh, tightly closed in shells (Main)|
|1 medium||Kumara (Main)|
|1||Onion, finely diced|
|½ cup||Chopped fresh coriander, or parsley|
|1 small||Red chilli, finely chopped (choose a mild chilli)|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|1 knob||Fresh ginger, grated (a small piece)|
|1 drizzle||Olive oil, or butter, for frying|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- To make the batter, beat eggs, self-raising flour, salt, a good grind fresh black pepper and buttermilk (or milk) to form a smooth batter. Chill to rest.
- Steam fresh (they should all be closed tightly) mussels until shells open and they're just cooked. Remove mussel meat from shells and chop into small dice. Cut 1 medium kumara into quarters and boil until tender. Cool, peel and chop into small dice.
- Add the mussels and kumara to a mixing bowl. Add onion, coriander (or parsley), chilli, lemon zest and grated ginger and mix together. Add the batter and the lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Heat a non-stick pan and fry large spoonfuls (⅓ cup) of mix in a little olive oil or butter so they cook evenly on both sides (reserve them in a clean tea towel in a warm oven as you go).
- To serve, squeeze with lemon, sprinkle with sea salt flakes and serve on a slice of buttered bread with a fennel and mustard mayo, or a sweet chilli sauce.