Make either filling, or both to give people a choice. Make sure fish is very fresh for the ceviche (a Central American dish of raw fish marinated in citrus juice), the fish flesh “cooks” with the acid from the citrus, without heat. The chicken and prawn filling is similar to the popular san choy bow. This usually uses pork mince, which you can use instead of chicken. Serves 4-6 as a light, casual shared starter.
Mexican fish cerviche filling
|200 g||Fish, fresh, white with skin off (trevally, tarakihi, gurnard, snapper) cut into small chunks (Main)|
|¼ cup||Lime juice, or lemon juice|
|2 tsp||Chipotle sauce|
|1||Red capsicum, finely chopped|
|1||Jalapeno chilli, 2 if preferred hotter, finely chopped|
|¼ ||Red onions, small and finely chopped|
|1 handful||Coriander, chopped|
Asian chicken and prawn filling
|250 g||Chicken mince (Main)|
|1 stalk||Celery, chopped|
|1 stalk||Lemongrass, finely chopped|
|1 clove||Garlic, minced|
|1 tsp||Ginger, finely grated|
|8||Raw prawns, shelled|
|2 tsp||Hoisin sauce|
|1 handful||Fresh mint, roughly chopped|
|1 handful||Fresh coriander, roughly chopped|
|1||Lime, cut into wedges to serve|
Mexican fish cerviche
- Place fish in a non-metal, non-corrosive bowl and pour over lime juice and chipotle sauce.
- Leave in fridge to marinate for 30-60 minutes. Mix in all other ingredients.
Asian chicken and prawn
- Heat oil in a medium fry-pan and stir-fry chicken mince until it is lightly browned, then set aside.
- Put pan back on heat and add a little more oil. Add celery, lemongrass, garlic, ginger and prawns; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until prawns are just cooked.
- Return chicken mince to pan, along with just enough hoisin sauce to very lightly coat everything, and mix together.
- Just before serving toss with mint and coriander.
- Cut stalk off iceberg lettuce, then cut the body in half. Gently separate the leaves so you have individual lettuce "cups".
- To serve, put the two fillings in bowls with the lettuce leaves and lime wedges on the side. Plonk in the middle of the table and everyone can help themselves.