This was one of the hardest challenges. I found out that it’s really difficult to make ice cream without sugar. You need the sugar to help stop the ice cream turning to ice! I didn’t manage to remove all the sugar, but I got rid of half of it by using honey, which also gave it a lot more flavour.
|2||Vanilla pods, split|
|225 g||Cream, whipped|
|225 g||Plain unsweetened yoghurt|
|20||Cherries, pitted (Main)|
|6||Plums, halved and stones removed (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Place water, sugar, honey and split vanilla pods in a saucepan and heat to 120C.
- Take off the heat, run cold water on base of saucepan to cool, discard vanilla pods and set syrup aside.
- Beat egg yolks until thick.
- Pour syrup over egg yolks and beat until cool. Fold in whipped cream and yoghurt.
- Pour ice cream mixture into a snap-lock container and freeze overnight.
Plum and cherry sauce
- Place all ingredients in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Continue simmering until liquid has reduced.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
Check out Ray McVinnie's video on'How to make chocolate shards'