If you've got room to grow another summer salad crop, cherry tomatoes are irresistible.
|12||Cherry tomatoes (Main)|
|3||Basil leaves, or other soft green herbs|
|3 drops||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Have the tomatoes at room temperature, then wash, dry and use a serrated knife to cut them into quarters.
- They will look prettiest if you cut around the equator first and then across. Put the tomato quarters into a bowl, together with any juices that collect on the chopping board.
- Dice a little red onion as finely as you can. The quantity of onion to add depends on the sweetness of the tomatoes and how much you like raw onions.
- The sweeter the tomatoes, the more onion they can get away with.
- Grind in a little pepper, add salt and mix well. Tear a few basil leaves or other herbs, such as tarragon and parsley, and add to the salad.
- Add the balsamic vinegar a few drops at a time - probably about a teaspoon altogether.