Have you thought about using mashed potatoes in baking? Me neither, until I tried this lemon cake at our Guild of Food Writers annual market place event. The team at Potatoes New Zealand had made it up for tasting to remind us how multi-talented and nutritious potatoes are.
|200 ml||Canola oil|
|200 g||Caster sugar|
|175 g||Ground almonds|
|250 g||Mashed potato, cooked and cooled (Main)|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Beat oil and sugar until light, then gradually add the eggs, beating after each addition.
- Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder. Pour into the tin and level the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Drizzle the warm cake with a lemon glaze made by heating 4 Tbsp sugar with the juice of 1 lemon.