Green tomatoes often have more appeal than many of the tasteless red examples on offer. The goat’s cheese adds a rich savoury texture and the red wine vinegar a burst of sweetness.
- Slice some sourdough, brush with olive oil, grill until crisp around the edges.
- For the syrup, add equal amounts of sugar and red wine vinegar to a small saucepan, dissolve and reduce slightly.
- In a bowl, blend 50/50 ratio of flour and polenta together.
- Pour a little canola oil into a hot pan. Dip the sliced tomatoes into milk, then coat with flour mix. Fry tomatoes until golden brown on both sides.
- Mix some fromage blanc goat's cheese, or similar, with a splash of cream until spreadable.
- Place the fried green tomatoes on the bruschetta and spread a lick of the whipped goat's cheese on top.
- Finish with a glug of olive oil and a drizzle of the red wine syrup.
- Find Gruff Junction Fromage Blan Goat's Cheese at delis, or use a good soft goat's cheese.
- Keep any leftover syrup and use wherever a burst of sweet and sour flavour could come in handy.