Italy is where you'll find Florentine biscuits served in most homes. The Italian mamma I lived with for a while always had a tempting jar on hand. This slice is a quick and easy interpretation of the biscuits, which will impress your guests. Let them break into it themselves. Just put it on the table with a strong coffee or cuppa for afternoon tea so they can nibble away. Makes 25 pieces approx.
|3 cups||Cornflakes (Main)|
|1 tsp||Lemon zest|
|1 tsp||Orange zest|
|½ cup||Apricots, chopped|
|70 g||Slivered almonds|
|¼ cup||Pistachios, chopped roughly|
|½ cup||Glace cherries|
|¼ cup||Mixed peel|
|1 tin||Condensed milk|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking paper.
- Place cornflakes, zest, apricots, sultanas, almonds, pistachios, cherries, mixed peel and condensed milk in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the tin and spread evenly. Place into the oven for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove and cool. Tip out on to a rack.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. Using a spatula, spread chocolate on to bottom of slice. Leave to set.
- Cut into slices and keep in an airtight container.