As the Christmas carol goes “we all want some figgy pudding” and serving it this way adds a little twist to the most famous and traditional of all Christmas desserts. This improves with age, so make it a few weeks before Christmas and store it, well wrapped, in the fridge or freezer.
The butterscotch sauce also keeps well in the fridge. Fresh tropical fruits are best cut on the day and then it’s simply a matter of heating your pudding and sauce, and dishing it up.
For the pudding
|110 g||Sultanas (Main)|
|225 g||Raisins (Main)|
|110 g||Mixed peel (Main)|
|1 tsp||Mixed spice|
|180 g||Butter, or suet|
|225 g||Demerara sugar|
|1||Lemon, finely grated rind only|
|1 tsp||Almond essence|
|4||Eggs, lightly beaten|
|225 g||Breadcrumbs, fine, leave crusts on and blitz in the food processor|
|1 cup||Pineapple, fresh, diced into large chunks (Main)|
|1||Mango, ripe, peeled and sliced into chunks (Main)|
|1||Papaya, sliced, seeds removed, scooped into balls or diced (a parisienne scoop or small metal baller can be found in most kitchen shops) (Main)|
For the butterscotch sauce
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
To make the pudding
- Mix the fruit, peel, spice and flour together.
- Cream butter and sugar then add vanilla, lemon and almond essence.
- Gradually add eggs, fruit, milk, brandy and breadcrumbs. Stir well until thoroughly combined.
- Lightly butter a pudding bowl and press the mixture in. Cover with baking paper and a lid. Place in a large pot of water and gently boil for 6 hours. Allow to cool completely before storing in the bowl, well covered.
- Bring the pudding to room temperature 2 hours before reheating. If frozen, defrost completely overnight. Steam for 1 ½ hours, or cover with plastic wrap and microwave on medium power for 7-10 minutes or until the centre is hot.
- Carefully tip out on to a suitable dish, garnish with tropical fruits and serve with warm butterscotch sauce.
To make the butterscotch sauce
Place cream, sugar, butter and vanilla in a saucepan, stir over medium heat for 5 minutes until dissolved. Increase heat to high and boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.