If you’ve got them by the kilo, here’s how to get the most out of the finicky feijoa.
|2 kgs||Feijoas, washed and dried (Main)|
|3||Onions, finely sliced|
|350 g||Dates, chopped|
|300 g||Brown sugar|
|1 piece||Ginger, 2cm, grated|
|3||Green chillies, small, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Mixed spice, see recipe below|
|1 Tbsp||Curry powder|
|3||Kaffir lime leaves|
|2||Lemons, zested and juiced|
|2||Limes, zested and juiced|
|2 cups||Malt vinegar|
|½ cup||Rice wine vinegar|
|1 cup||Water, boiling|
Ground spice mix
|1 Tbsp||Allspice, berries|
|1 Tbsp||Cardamom pods|
|1 Tbsp||Mustard seeds|
|1 Tbsp||Coriander seeds|
|1 Tbsp||Cumin seeds|
- Make the ground spice mix by toasting all the spices in a pan until browned. Cool then finely grind the spices. Store in an airtight container.
- Top and tail the feijoas and cut them in half, then finely slice them with the skin on. Place in a large saucepan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and gently simmer, stirring often for 2 hours until the chutney is thick.
- Taste as you go and season accordingly. Add more water if it gets thick too soon.
- Spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal.