These gooey surprise white chocolate-centred “molten lava’’cakes are the perfect pudding to entertain with this winter. Serve with any poached winter fruits or a just little vanilla icecream on the side.
|185 g||Dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids, coarsely chopped (Main)|
|185 g||Butter, diced|
|90 g||Caster sugar|
|150 g||Plain flour|
|25 g||Dutch cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting|
|1 block||White chocolate, small (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir until smooth.
- Whisk eggs, yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Fold chocolate into egg mixture, sieve in flour and cocoa and fold gently to combine.
- Spoon fondant mix into 8 buttered and floured 200ml ramekins or metal moulds. Fill to three-quarters, press 2 pieces of white chocolate into the centre of each fondant.
- Smooth the top of each fondant with the back of a teaspoon, then refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Bake the fondants for 6-7 minutes or until just set and soft in the centre — a bamboo skewer should come out wet. Allow to sit for 1 minute before very carefully turning out of moulds and dusting with a little extra cocoa.
- Serve with poached tamarillos — plunge 4 tamarillos into boiling water for 15 seconds then into iced water, peel, then cut in half and simmer until tender in a saucepan with ½ cup each of sugar and water.
Check out Ray McVinnie's video on'How to make chocolate shards'