A cook's torch will give you a golden crust
|300 ml||Cream (Main)|
|2 stems||Rhubarb, chopped into 3cm chunks|
|1 Tbsp||Orange juice|
|2 tsp||Sugar, extra|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat oven to 150degC. Pour the cream into a saucepan. Split the vanilla pod lengthways and scrape the seeds into the cream. Add the pod as well.
- Bring cream just to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until pale and creamy. Pour the hot cream mixture over the egg and sugar, whisking as you go. Strain mixture through a sieve, then pour into two greased ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a small baking dish and pour in enough hot water to reach halfway up their sides. Bake for 45 minutes or until the custards are just set and still a bit wobbly in the middle. Remove from the water and allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the brulee are cooking, place rhubarb, orange juice and sugar in a small baking dish, cover with foil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until rhubarb is just tender.
- Sprinkle extra sugar over the brulee and place under a hot grill until sugar browns. Top with rhubarb and serve.