If your mother is like mine you know that she is always there for you when you need her most and deserves the very best. Like mine, she may love — no, crave —chocolate. Nothing says “thank you for everything” quite like this decadent chocolate passionfruit spread.
|400 ml||Passionfruit pulp (Main)|
|300 g||Granulated white sugar|
|50 ml||Lemon juice|
|250 g||Bitter chocolate, 70% or more (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Pulse blend the passionfruit pulp 5 or 6 times to loosen the seeds, then push through a fine mesh sieve with a spatula, discarding the seeds.
- Put the pulp into a pan with the sugar and stir on a moderate heat until the sugar has dissolved, then stir through the lemon juice. Lower the heat and, keeping it just below a boil, break up the chocolate and add slowly, allowing it to melt gradually.
- Once the chocolate has completely melted, remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for up to 6 hours, or overnight.
- When cool, place a few small saucers in the freezer and sterilise the jars by washing in soapy hot water and rinsing thoroughly. Drip dry them upside down then place into a warm oven set at 120C for at least 20 minutes.
- Bring the pan of chocolate mixture to a hard rolling boil on a medium high heat for at least 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Use the wrinkle test on your frozen saucers to check for a firm set and, when ready, take off the heat and ladle into your warm, dry sterilised jars and seal after 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, spread will keep unopened for up to 6 months. Once opened, eat within 2 months.