|1 cup||Dates, dried, chopped (Main)|
|175 g||Butter, cubed|
|250 g||Milk chocolate, coarsely chopped or use chocolate buttons (Main)|
|3 ½ cups||Desiccated coconut|
|½ cup||Brown sugar, firmly packed|
|1 to dust||Icing sugar|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat oven to 160 degC fan bake. Grease a 24cm springform cake tin and line the base with nonstick baking paper.
- Place dates and water in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes to soften dates. Remove to cool.
- Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melt over a saucepan of simmering water, or microwave to melt. Stir until smooth, then set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir date mixture and coconut into chocolate mixture - this will be very dense. Place eggs and brown sugar in a bowl and beat for 5 minutes until mixture is pale and creamy.
- Fold this creamed mixture into the date, coconut and chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean but moist.
- Leave to cool in the tin. Serve dusted with icing sugar.