Pies are as much a part of Kiwi life as Jelly Tips, Vegemite and the corner dairy. oost of us have memories of balancing a steaming hot pie in a paper bag, trying to eat it as carefully as possible
|1||Chicken, size 16 (Main)|
|3 stalks||Fresh parsley|
|1||Carrot, chopped in half|
|2 cups||Button mushrooms, sliced|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|½ cup||Dry white wine|
|2 Tbsp||Wholegrain mustard|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|6 sheets||Butter puff pastry|
|1||Egg, yolk, lightly wished|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Simmer the chicken along with the parsley and carrot in a large saucepan of water for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked. once cool enough to handle remove the flesh from the chicken and discard the skin, bones, carrot and parsley.
- Strain the stock and skim fat off as it rises. Refrigerate chicken and stock until needed.
- Melt butter in a medium pot and cook the mushrooms and onion for 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes over a medium heat. Gradually pour in 2 cups of the strained chicken stock and white wine and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir through mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool and then mix with the shredded chicken meat.
- Preheat oven to 200 degC. Line six individual pie dishes with pastry. Pour over cooled filling. Cover with pastry and brush with egg yolk.
- Bake for 30 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden.