Arborio rice is one of those staples you should keep on hand for emergencies and with a few key ingredients and creative thinking you can whip up a super-tasty risotto. I like to use plenty of garlic, parmesan and, of course, a good quality stock. I added mushrooms and chicken for a wholesome meal and doubled the recipe to feed all the guests — all of whom were roped in to take turns stirring the risotto.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|4 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|400 g||Chicken breasts, sliced thinly (Main)|
|1 cup||Arborio rice (Main)|
|½ cup||White wine|
|2 cups||Mushrooms, roughly chopped (Main)|
|1 Ltr||Chicken stock, warm|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|1 cup||Grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish|
|½ cup||Chopped parsley|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- In a heavy based saucepan, heat olive oil and butter on medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until completely soft but not browned. Add chicken, stirring until slightly coloured.
- Pour in rice and stir for 2 or 3 minutes then add wine, cooking until it has all been absorbed. Stir through the mushrooms.
- Start adding your stock 1 cup at a time and allow it to be absorbed before adding the next. Continue until all the stock is used and you have a creamy risotto. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Stir through the lemon, butter, parmesan and season with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
- Finally fold through the parsley and serve hot.