|2 ½ cups||Flour|
|500 g||Chicken breasts (Main)|
|400 g||Field mushrooms (Main)|
|1 cup||Chicken stock|
|½ cup||Sour cream|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh thyme|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- To make the pastry, place the flour and salt in a bowl or food processor. Rub the cubed butter into the flour with your fingertips, or process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the cold water and mix just enough to combine into a dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- To make the filling, heat a little oil in a frying pan, add cubed chicken and brown all over. Remove to one side. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir-fry to lightly brown. Remove to one side. Add chopped onion to the pan and a little more oil, as necessary. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add flour to the pan and stir to combine. Whisk in chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes, whisking regularly until sauce thickens. Stir in sour cream and thyme. Stir in chicken and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 200 deg C. Lightly oil a 24cm tart tin. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry to 3mm thick and use to line the base and sides of the tin with a little overhang. Spoon the filling in to fill the pastry case. Roll out remaining pastry to form a 24cm circle and use to cover the filling. Fold the pastry overhang over top to secure the filling.
- Brush pastry surface with beaten egg glaze (made from one beaten egg combined with 1 tablespoon milk). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.