These tasty pancakes use a buttermilk batter and are topped with a creamy raw vegetable and herb salsa.
|½ cup||Fine polenta, fine cornmeal (Main)|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|¼ tsp||Baking soda|
|1 cup||Buttermilk (Main)|
|3 Tbsp||Butter, 1 Tbsp melted for batter and 2 Tbsp to cook pancakes|
|1 cup||Cheddar cheese, grated, a large cupful (Main)|
|1 handful||Chopped fresh coriander|
Vegetable cream salsa
|¼ cup||Greek yoghurt|
|¼ cup||Creme fraiche|
|1||Lemon, enough juice and zest to taste|
|1 handful||Mixed vegetables, raw, finely chopped (we used a medley of corn, capsicum, spring onion and herbs)|
- Sift flour and cornmeal with salt and pepper, baking powder and baking soda.
- Whisk 1 large egg with 1 cup buttermilk until smooth. Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients, and 1 Tbsp melted butter and beat until smooth.
- Mix grated cheddar and a handful chopped coriander into the batter and rest for 10 minutes or chill until ready to use.
- To cook, melt 1-2 Tbsp butter in a large frying pan until foaming. Add ¼ cup spoonfuls of batter and cook until bubbles appear on the surface (approx 3-4 mins). Flip and cook until pancakes are golden on both sides, keeping them warm in the oven in a clean tea towel until ready to serve.
- Serve with vegetable cream salsa. To make, whisk together greek yogurt and creme fraiche, season with salt and ground black pepper and lemon zest and juice, according to taste. Add a colourful medley of finely chopped vegetables (such as corn, capsicum, spring onion and herbs) and chill.
More pancake recipes