Warren Elwin does some cheesy entertaining.
|⅓ cup||Water, cold|
|¼ cup||Whole milk|
|90 g||Unsalted butter|
|⅔ cup||Plain flour|
|100 g||Grated cheese, mixture of parmesan, edam and smoked cheddars (Main)|
|1 serving||Pickled jalapeno chillies, finely chopped, fresh herbs or nuts (optional)|
|1||Egg, to make wash|
|1 serving||Flaky sea salt, chilli powder or sesame seeds, to sprinkle|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- In a pot combine water, milk, butter, salt and sugar. Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Add flour and stir the mixture continuously for about 5 minutes over a low heat (the mixture will pull away from the sides of the pot as it dries out).
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time (taking care to incorporate each fully, before adding the next). The mixture will be shiny, smooth and sticky.
- Fold in the grated cheese (I've used a combo of parmesan, edam and smoked cheddars) into the pastry until incorporated (at this stage you can also add finely chopped pickled jalapenos, fresh herbs, nuts, etc).
- Place small spoonfuls of the mixture on to an oven tray lined with baking paper, gently brush with egg wash, sprinkle with a little flaky sea salt (chilli powder or sesame seeds), and bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes, until puffed up and golden (turning them around in the oven after 10 minutes).
- Serve them warm or cool just as they are, or fill them with sliced ham, smoked salmon, chutneys or pickle.