|3 Tbsp||Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper|
|12||Chicken legs, skin on (Main)|
|4 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|1 clove||Garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|6||Potatoes, small, cut into 2cm slices|
|2||Preserved lemons, halves, sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces|
|1 pinch||Saffron, soaked in 2 tbsp hot water|
|4||Fennel bulbs, small to medium, sliced|
|5500 ml||Chicken stock|
|18||Pitted green olives|
|2||Coriander sprigs, or more if desired|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Wipe any water and juices off the chicken, then dust lightly with seasoned flour. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan, then sauté the chicken until golden. Lift out and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy casserole dish suitable for stovetop use, heat the remaining oil. When hot, add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook gently until soft. Add the potato slices and cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the lemon, saffron and fennel, toss well, then add the stock, chicken and olives. Bring to a simmer, cover with a tight-fitting lid, then place the dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spoon the chicken and vegetables onto a heated platter.
- Reduce the juices over a fast heat on the stovetop until they thicken, then pour over the chicken. Garnish with a few coriander sprigs.
- Serve immediately with a green salad or steamed broccoli.