This gorgeous carrot cake has cinnamon, walnuts and raisins - a perfect combination for a carrot cake. Substitute the cream cheese icing for a dairy-free alternative and you'll have a great dairy-free dessert.
|1 cup||Peanut oil|
|2 cups||Raw sugar|
|4||Eggs, lightly beaten|
|2 cups||Wholemeal flour|
|1 ½ tsp||Cinnamon|
|3 cups||Grated carrot (Main)|
|1 cup||Walnuts, chopped|
|2 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 cup||Icing sugar (Main)|
|¼ cup||Butter, melted|
|200 g||Cream cheese|
|1 ½ cups||Water|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
- Set oven to 160C. Grease and line a 25cm cake tin.
- Mix oil, raw sugar and eggs in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, salt, carrot, raisins and walnuts. Add the oil mix and combine all well. At the last minute add baking soda.
- Bake in oven for 55 minutes.
- Beat together cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla and melted butter.
- Spread on the cake when it is cool.
- Bring water and sugar to the boil and continue cooking until a caramel colour.
- Place nuts on a sheet of baking paper. Pour over the hot caramel.
- When cold break into pieces.