Step things up a notch this Mother’s Day with afternoon or pre-dinner nibbles and a glass of something special. Villa Maria Organic Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2016 is a powerful expression of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc with lively aromas of lemongrass, coriander seed and grapefruit.
The fresh lime and riper melon notes on the palate make a crisp and zesty match to the richly flavoured moreish little tarts.
|2 sheets||Flaky puff pastry (Main)|
|¼ cup||Caramelised onion jam, use up to ½ cup, this can be store bought or homemade using the recipe below (Main)|
|70 g||Goat's cheese (Main)|
|1 small handful||Thyme|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
To make the onion jam
Over a very low heat fry 3 red onions in 2 Tbsp oil for 10 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp sugar and cook another 20 minutes to caramelise.
To make the tartlets
- Heat the oven to 220C fan-bake.
- Cut 12 x 8cm (approx.) circles out of the pastry sheets (using a cookie cutter or glass) and, using a small, sharp knife, score a 1 cm border within each circle, without cutting all the way through.
- Spoon a teaspoon of onion jam into the middle of each tart, avoiding the border, and top with a little round or piece of goat's cheese. Sprinkle with a little fresh thyme.
- Beat the egg with a little water and brush a little around the 1 cm border of each tartlet.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the borders puff up and the pastry is cooked on the bottom.
- Serve warm or cold with Villa Maria Organic Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2016.