These are based on the traditional Italian biscuit and are spiced hazelnut meringues that are easy to make. We make lots for any celebration. Pack them in a box with tissue and tie up with a ribbon for presentation.
|1 cup||Roasted hazelnuts, ground coarsely|
|2 tsp||Ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting|
|¾ tsp||Ground cloves|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|¼ tsp||Pure vanilla extract|
|1 sprinkle||Icing sugar, for dusting|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat the oven to 150C. Grease a baking sheet with butter and sprinkle over flour.
- Mix the hazelnuts, cinnamon and cloves together thoroughly and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until very stiff and then add the sugar gradually, a little at a time, beating well after each addition, until it is all incorporated. The mixture must be very stiff and glossy.
- Stop beating and carefully fold in the vanilla and the hazelnut mixture.
- Using 2 teaspoons, drop egg-shaped pieces of the mixture on to the prepared baking sheet. Space well. Bake 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar mixed with a little ground cinnamon.