For the rice salad
|1 cup||Brown rice (Main)|
|1 ½ cups||Water|
|2 stalks||Lemongrass, remove the tough outer stalk and finely chop|
|600 g||Boneless chicken thighs, skinless (Main)|
|1 ½ cups||Edamame beans, frozen and podded (Main)|
|2||Celery stalks, finely diced|
|2||Spring onions, finely sliced|
|1||Red pepper, diced|
|2 Tbsp||Toasted sesame seeds|
|½ cup||Roasted peanuts, roughly chopped|
|¾ cup||Fresh coriander, chopped|
|¾ cup||Mint leaves, chopped|
|1||Chilli, finely sliced optional|
|100 g||Snow peas|
For the dressing
|2 Tbsp||Gluten-free tamari|
|1 Tbsp||Sesame oil|
|2 Tbsp||Lime juice|
|2 Tbsp||Rice vinegar|
|1 Tbsp||Fish sauce|
|2 tsp||Brown sugar|
|1 piece||Fresh ginger, approx 1cm, peeled and grated|
|1 tsp||Chilli paste, optional|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Place rice, water and a pinch of salt in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pan over medium high heat. Stir fry the lemongrass for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Add ? cup of water and cover with a lid. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid is almost all evaporated, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once cool, shred the chicken, and stir back through the lemongrass. Reserve.
- Cook edamame beans in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Add snowpeas and cook for a further 1 minute. Drain and refresh the edamame and snow peas under cold water — this will keep them crunchy and bright green.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together.
- Toss cooked brown rice, chicken, edamame, snowpeas, celery, spring onions, red peppers, sesame seeds, peanuts, herbs and chili if used. Add dressing just before serving and mix well.