This broccoli salad, with its rice and nuts, is a complete meal and one I serve regularly for dinner and make enough to pack for lunch the next day too. I quite often add other blanched veges, such as beans and asparagus. Keep your broccoli tender but crisp and once it melds with the dressing, herbs and nuts even those who proclaim to hate broccoli are surprised at how good it tastes.
|1 cup||Brown rice|
|1 head||Broccoli, large (Main)|
|2||Spring onions, finely chopped|
|1 cup||Cherry tomatoes, cut in half|
|3 cups||Mixed lettuce leaves|
|¼ cup||Mint leaves, sliced|
|¼ cup||Fresh coriander, sliced|
|2 tsp||Sesame oil|
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1 tsp||Ginger, finely grated|
|½ cup||Toasted cashew nuts|
|2 Tbsp||Toasted sesame seeds|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Cook brown rice according to packet instructions, drain, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Cut broccoli into small florets and blanch for a couple of minutes until just tender then cool under cold water and leave to drain well.
- Trim the tough outer parts from the stem of the broccoli and cut into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add the spring onion, lettuce leaves (broken into small pieces if large), tomatoes, mint, coriander, cooked rice and broccoli to the bowl.
- Mix the sesame oil, soy, mirin and grated ginger together in a jug. Place the tahini in a bowl and slowly add the soy mixture, whisking to incorporate.
- Pour over the salad and toss lightly to combine.
- Sprinkle with cashew nuts and sesame seeds before serving.