Everyone loves cottage pie, especially in the cooler months! This scalloped potato
version is both cheesy and comforting and even sneaks in some veggies too.
Serve alongside a green salad or steamed veg for a dinner the whole family will love!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 60-70 mins
Skill level: Easy as
|500 g||Prime beef mince|
|1||Brown onion, chopped|
|½ cup||Pams Split Red Lentils|
|2||Cans Pams Garlic & Oregano Diced Tomatoes|
|2 tsp||Pams Soy Sauce|
|1 kg||Agria Potatoes, peeled|
|1½ cup||Pams Tasty Grated Natural Cheese|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Heat a splash of oil in a large saucepan and add the mince, breaking up any lumps as you go, until the meat is browned.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the lentils, tinned tomatoes, soy sauce and 1½ cups water,
- season well with salt and bring up to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes until thickened and the lentils are cooked (add a little water to the mix if it's too dry).
- Slice the potatoes 5mm thick and put into a saucepan of salted water. Bring up to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Put the cooked mince into a baking dish and top with the potato slices. Scatter over the grated cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbling. Slice into squares and serve.
- Adding red lentils not only extends the beef but has added protein to help nourish your whānau.
To see latest specials go to www.newworld.co.nz/mailer
This content has been created in partnership with New World