Meat is by far the most common protein cooked on our barbecue, however I am always pleasantly surprised at how easy and fast it is to barbecue seafood. My kids love this super-healthy homemade version of fish and chips.
The panko crumb coating adds a great texture to the fish, and keeps it from drying out. I like to cook the fish right at the last minute so it’s super-hot and still juicy inside. The warm cherry tomato salad is a fresh substitute for tomato sauce.
|700 g||Agria potatoes, washed and scrubbed, cut into 1cm sliced chips (Main)|
|1 dash||Olive oil, for frying|
|1 punnet||Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (Main)|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh basil, chopped|
|4||Fish fillets, 150g each (Main)|
|1 cup||Panko breadcrumbs|
|2 Tbsp||Rice bran oil|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat barbecue to medium.
- For the chips, place the potato chips in a large pot, cover with cold water, bring to the boil then turn down to low and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Carefully drain off water, return to the heat and steam off excess water for 1 minute.
- Toss with 2 Tbsp olive oil and ½ tsp salt to coat.
- Lay sliced potato chips on hot grill bars and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- For the tomato salad, wipe the hotplate clean with a lightly oiled paper towel.
- Drizzle 2 tsp of olive oil on to the hotplate, then wipe evenly over the cooking surface. Place the cherry tomatoes on, cut side down, cook until caramelised then carefully lift off and place in a bowl. Sprinkle over the basil, drizzle with 2 tsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly season the fish with salt on both sides, coat in flour, dip into whisked egg, then press into the panko crumbs.
- Turn hotplate temperature down to medium, drizzle with rice bran oil then place fish on top. Place a little butter in between fish so it melts under the fillets. Cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden, carefully turn over using a fish slice and cook the other side until golden. Serve with lemon mayo, below.
To make lemon mayo:
Place 2 egg yolks, 1 tsp dijon mustard and 2 tsp lemon juice in a blender or bowl and whisk until combined. Very slowly pour in 1 cup rice bran oil, whisking continuously until all the oil is combined and the mixture has a thick consistency. Whisk in 3 tsp hot water, season with salt and white pepper to taste.