These wonderful vegetables are at their best in summer. The salad is topped with pomegranate which, although imported, adds wonderful flavour and colour. Molasses is also a favourite of mine. Combine it with thick Greek yoghurt to make a beautifully smooth dressing with a bit of tang. I am a fan of using the barbecue as much as possible, as it means less mess in the kitchen, and this salad lends itself perfectly to that.
|50 ml||Olive oil|
|1||Aubergine, large, cut into 3cm cubes (Main)|
|1||Onion, small, chopped|
|4 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1||Red chilli, chopped finely|
|2||Red peppers, seeds removed, cut into 3cm cubes|
|1||Green pepper, seeds removed, cut into 3cm cubes|
|200 g||Beans, topped and tailed or cut into smaller pieces if large|
|2||Tomatoes, large, quartered|
|½ ||Pomegranates, seeds removed|
|½ cup||Basil, chopped|
|½ cup||Greek yoghurt|
|1 Tbsp||Pomegranate molasses|
- First make the dressing by combining all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat barbecue to a medium heat. Pour 25ml oil on to the hot plate.
- Add the aubergine and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil then the onion, garlic, chilli, peppers, courgettes, beans and tomatoes.
- Toss every 2 minutes and cook until slightly charred and golden and just cooked through.
- Add the aubergine back for the last 2 minutes to combine. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve on a platter. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and drizzle over the dressing.