This bread from Honeytrap on Auckland's Karangahape Road is addictive. good served a herbed butter, with cream cheese or topped with fried or scrambled eggs for breakfast.
|3 pieces||Bacon, strips thick cut, chopped (Main)|
|1 ½ cups||Zucchini, grated, squeezed, and drained|
|1 ½ cups||Cheddar cheese, sharp, grated (Main)|
|4||Spring onions, chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Chopped thyme, leaves only|
|1 ¾ cups||Plain flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|⅓ cup||Olive oil|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare a 9 x 5 inch metal loaf pan with butter or olive oil.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine bacon, zucchini, cheese, spring onions and thyme in a small bowl.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and paprika in a mixing bowl. In another large mixing bowl combine eggs, oil, and milk.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet until just combined. Fold in the bacon, zucchini and cheese mixture.
- Smooth batter into the loaf pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 55-60 minutes.
- Cool in the pan, 5 minutes, then turn on to a rack and let the bread cool completely.
- To serve, slice thickly and toast in a sandwich press or dry frying pan. This will melt the cheese in the bread a bit, making it go golden and crispy on the outside.