Strata is an American version of a savoury bread and butter pudding. Play around with the ingredients, adding or subtracting from this basic recipe.
|300 g||Bacon rashers (Main)|
|½ cup||Cheddar cheese|
|2 ½ cups||Milk|
|1 ⅓ cups||Cream|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|¼ cup||Parmesan cheese|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Grease a 1 litre capacity oven dish.
- Layer muffin halves (toasted) in prepared dish, alternating layers with a sprinkling of bacon(rindless) and cheddar cheese(grated). Press down well.
- Beat eggs, milk and cream together and season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour liquid evenly over muffin layers. Set aside for 30 minutes for muffins to completely absorb liquid. Heat oven to 150 degC.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, scatter with parmesan cheese and bake for a further 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tip:Try adding herbs or spices, or substitute salami, sausages, ham or chicken for the bacon.