This recipe is a perfect dinner dish, especially if you have vegetarians to feed. When the dish is prepared ahead, the flavours meld better.
|5 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2||Red capsicums, finely sliced (Main)|
|2||Aubergines, medium size, cut into 6cm chunks (Main)|
|6||Garlic cloves, peeled|
|1||Large onion, finely sliced|
|500 g||Large ripe tomatoes, chopped (Main)|
|1||Lemon, use 10cm strip of rind|
|1 cup||Dry white wine|
|450 g||Chickpeas, can or jar, drained (Main)|
|1 handful||Basil leaves (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan until medium-hot. Sauté the aubergine chunks until golden, turning frequently, then drain on paper towels.
- Add more oil to the pan if necessary, then gently cook the capsicum, onion and garlic cloves over a low heat for 10-15 minutes or until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, lemon rind, bay leaf and wine.
- Bring to a slow simmer, then add the aubergine and basil to the mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes or until soft and aromatic.
- Add the chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To serve, turn into a shallow warmed dish.