Soaking grains overnight helps neutralise phytic acid and break down fibres, making them more digestible, but it’s not essential. If you haven’t soaked them you may need to cook the porridge a little longer.
For the porridge
|1 cup||Oats, steel cut (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Apple cider vinegar|
|1 ½ cups||Milk, or water|
|1||Apple, grated (Main)|
|2 Tbsp||Walnuts, chopped, toasted|
For the blueberry syrup
|1 cup||Blueberries (Main)|
- Soak oats and quinoa in 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar and plenty of water overnight.
- Drain and rinse the oats and quinoa. This mix can be stored in the fridge for a few days. It makes 4-6 servings.
- For a 2-person serve, bring ⅔ cup oat and quinoa mix, milk and salt to the boil. Stir in apple, cinnamon and honey, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly until mixture is thick. Add more milk if you like your porridge wetter.
- Meanwhile bring the blueberries to the boil with honey, then remove from the heat.
- Stir the walnuts through the porridge, spoon into bowls and top with blueberry syrup. Serve with milk or cream for pouring
More nutritious breakfast ideas