Monday, 01 April 2024
KaitaiaWhangareiDargavilleAucklandThamesTaurangaHamiltonWhakataneRotoruaTokoroaTe KuitiTaumarunuiTaupoGisborneNew PlymouthNapierHastingsDannevirkeWhanganuiPalmerston NorthLevinParaparaumuMastertonWellingtonMotuekaNelsonBlenheimWestportReeftonKaikouraGreymouthHokitikaChristchurchAshburtonTimaruWanakaOamaruQueenstownDunedinGoreInvercargill
NZ HeraldThe Northern AdvocateThe Northland AgeThe AucklanderWaikato HeraldBay Of Plenty TimesRotorua Daily PostHawke's Bay TodayWhanganui ChronicleThe Stratford PressManawatu GuardianKapiti NewsHorowhenua ChronicleTe Awamutu CourierVivaEat WellOneRoofDRIVEN Car GuideThe CountryPhoto SalesiHeart RadioRestaurant Hub
Voyager 2023 media awards
Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Business

Revealed: NZ, other Five Eyes partners met before Huawei arrest

Chris Keall
By
Chris Keall
13 Dec, 2018 08:29 PM4 mins to read
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
"All of the Five Eyes partners are coming into line," analyst Paul Buchanan tells the Herald. Buchan says security agencies are right to be suspicious of Huawei. The company denies wrongdoing.

"All of the Five Eyes partners are coming into line," analyst Paul Buchanan tells the Herald. Buchan says security agencies are right to be suspicious of Huawei. The company denies wrongdoing.

Spy bosses from countries in the Five Eyes network held a secret meeting in Nova Scotia in July to discuss concerns about security concerns about China and Huawei, according to an AFR report.

Telcos' pending upgrades to 5G mobile networks were apparently a topic of particular concern as the agency heads supped on lobster bisque.

In the months that followed that July 17 dinner, an unprecedented campaign has been waged by those present – Australia, the US, Canada, New Zealand and the UK – to block Chinese tech giant Huawei from supplying equipment for their next-generation wireless networks, the paper says.

While security agencies have been wary about publicly discussing Huawei, international security expert Paul Buchanan says it's noticeable that earlier this year, the alliance was fractured, with the US and Australia taking a hard line on Huawei, banning it from mobile networks, fibre rollouts and international cable projects, while the UK, Canada and New Zealand where happy to allow business (or in NZ's case, even encourage it) with the Chinese company.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Now, "All of the Five Eyes partners are coming into line", Buchanan says.

The GCSB blocked a Spark proposal to use Huawei gear in its 5G upgrade in a decision made public on November 28. "Significant national security risks", were cited by the GCSB, but not detailed.

British Telecom said on December 5 that it would not use Huawei for core elements of its 5G upgrade and, more strikingly, confirmed an FT report that it would strip Huawei gear from its 4G and 3G networks on security agency advice. (Here, GCSB Andrew Little told the Herald it was his understanding the Huawei security issue was restricted to 5G.)

The same day Canadian authorities arrested Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver at the behest of the US. Meng was granted bail earlier this week.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Meng is charged with sanctions-busting rather than espionage, but accusations persist of Huawei co-operating with the Chinese Government on illicit surveillance.

"I believe the US intelligence community consensus that Huawei works hand in glove with Chinese Intelligence," says Buchanan, who worked as a policy analyst for the US Secretary of Defence and an adviser to the Pentagon before coming to New Zealand to work as a university lecturer. He now runs a consultancy.

For its part, Huawei has said no evidence has ever been tabled of wrongdoing, despite it being under more intense scrutiny than telco infrastructure rivals Nokia Networks and Ericsson (which it points out have joint-venture partnerships in China).

In a guest op-ed for the Herald today, Huawei NZ chief executive Yanek Fan says his company has been denied natural justice, or even a face-to-face meeting with cabinet ministers.

Related articles

Business

'Not a ban' - Govt offers hope for Huawei, but Spark dubious

28 Nov 07:24 PM
Business

Huawei Q&A: What you need to know about the Chinese giant

07 Dec 01:41 AM
Business

Huawei executive released on bail

11 Dec 11:29 PM
Business

Huawei hits back: 5G ban not the 'kiwi way' of doing things

13 Dec 06:57 PM

"Any perceived risk can be mitigated and managed in a mature manner, as has happened in the past," he says.

Maturity hasn't always been the watchword of the debate.

The AFR says Australian Signals Directorate director-general Mike Burgess "dabbled in some light trolling of Huawei", after he joined Twitter earlier this year.

On November 21 when a Huawei executive boasted of successfully separating the core and access parts of a 5G network in New Zealand he tagged the ASD boss on his post.

To the surprise of most Burgess replied; "Thanks for sharing. In my business, I've never seen anything 'fully isolated'."

GCSB director-general Andrew Hampton says there was no collusion ahead of the decision to block Huawei from Spark's 5G upgrade.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"The decision I made to identify a significant network security risk with Spark's recent network change notification was an independent regulatory decision made under TICSA," he tells the Herald.

TICSA is the Telecommunications (Interception Capability & Security) Act 2013, which requires network operators like Spark to run technology upgrades past the GCSB for approval.

"That legislation prescribes the process I must follow and what I need to consider. In undertaking this regulatory function I did not come under any pressure from Five Eye partners," Hampton says.

"GCSB does share intelligence and technical information with its Five Eye partners and New Zealand receives a significant benefit from this relationships. That said, Five Eye partners are very respectful of New Zealand's independence and our legislative framework. There is a long-standing practice that I don't comment on specific meetings."

Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Business

Premium
Business

'The land of cute': Cabin crew help drive tourist numbers at alpaca business

01 Apr 02:00 AM
Premium
Business

Greenwashing risks and how ESG can be a science, not an art

01 Apr 01:00 AM
Premium
Business

Moo-ves to ban lab-grown meat intensify in some US states

01 Apr 12:47 AM
Premium
Business

An Easter reprieve? What trustee tax changes mean for you

31 Mar 11:00 PM

Top 10 NZ road trips

sponsored
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Business

Premium
'The land of cute': Cabin crew help drive tourist numbers at alpaca business

'The land of cute': Cabin crew help drive tourist numbers at alpaca business

01 Apr 02:00 AM

The herd of 170 of the gentle animals in Akaroa is a magnet for tourists.

Premium
Greenwashing risks and how ESG can be a science, not an art

Greenwashing risks and how ESG can be a science, not an art

01 Apr 01:00 AM
Premium
Moo-ves to ban lab-grown meat intensify in some US states

Moo-ves to ban lab-grown meat intensify in some US states

01 Apr 12:47 AM
Premium
An Easter reprieve? What trustee tax changes mean for you

An Easter reprieve? What trustee tax changes mean for you

31 Mar 11:00 PM
How to spot the red flags of a scam
sponsored

How to spot the red flags of a scam

NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
  • Bundle subscriptions
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • What the Actual
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven CarGuide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2024 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP