The gunman suspected of killing 39 people in an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has been caught in the city's Esenyurt district, the

and other media reports say.

The reports could not be confirmed but Hurriyet said the man, who media quoted police as saying had operated under the cover name Ebu Muhammed Horasani, was caught in an operation along with his son.

The man suspected of being the Reina nightclub shooter is taken into custody. Photo / AP
The man suspected of being the Reina nightclub shooter is taken into custody. Photo / AP

The district where he was found is on the European side of the city. Dozens of people have previously been detained in connection with the attack for which Islamic State has claimed responsibility, saying it was revenge for Turkish military involvement in Syria.

Advertisement

On January 1, the attacker shot his way into the exclusive Reina nightclub then opened fire with an automatic rifle, reloading his weapon half a dozen times and shooting the wounded as they lay on the ground. Turks as well as visitors from several Arab nations, India and Canada were among those killed in the attack.

Dogan news agency published what it said was the first image of the attacker. It showed a bruised, black-haired man in a grey, bloodied shirt being held by his neck. Private NTV television said the gunman had resisted arrest.

- AAP