Ata Hingano's drink driving conviction is unlikely to affect his future at the Warriors, but it does come as a surprise.
The 19-year-old has lost his licence for six months and copped a $450 fine, after being convicted of driving with an excess breath alcohol level in central Auckland in September.
The 2015 Warriors rookie of the year pleaded guilty in the Auckland District Court on Tuesday, after being pulled over by police when he was seen speeding without his headlights on.
Fairfax media reported that he blew 467 mcg per litre of breath, when for drivers under 20 the limit is zero.
The news comes as a surprise, as Hingano is seen as one of the brightest young prospects at the club and 'a mature head on young shoulders'.
Hingano has already featured in two NRL games, and spent most of the past season playing NSW Cup despite still being eligible for the Junior Warriors.
Hingano has been earmarked as a key player of the future, someone who could be in the halves at the Mt Smart for the next decade.
This indisgression won't change that, and many other young players in the NRL have rebounded from far more serious situations.
Hingano, who represented the Junior Kiwis earlier this year, is contracted at the Warriors until the end of next season, with an extension to the deal expected to be negotiated soon.
Warriors managing director Jim Doyle told Fairfax media that Hingano contacted the club the day after the incident.
Doyle said that Hingano apologised and put his actions down to a "bad decision."
"He's a good kid, he's got no other issues, no other past issues, no other dramas and he was certainly very remorseful," said Doyle.