Widow Danica Weeks 'disgusted' as search for MH370 called off

Danica Weeks is raising her two boys alone after her husband Paul disappeared on flight MH370. Photo / Facebook
Danica Weeks is raising her two boys alone after her husband Paul disappeared on flight MH370. Photo / Facebook

Perth woman Danica Weeks is distraught and angry the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has been called off nearly three years after the plane went missing with her Kiwi husband Paul and 238 others on board.

"I'm still processing it, it's unacceptable, it's just disgusting really," Weeks, whose two young sons lost their father, told AAP.

Christchurch man Paul Weeks was on Malaysian airlines flight MH370. Photo: One News
Christchurch man Paul Weeks was on Malaysian airlines flight MH370. Photo: One News



Transport ministers from Australia, Malaysia and China confirmed yesterday the underwater search in 120,000 sq km of the southern Indian Ocean had been suspended until there is any new credible evidence.

Distraught relatives have questioned why the search was called off less than a month after international experts identified a new area they believed contained the aircraft.

Flight 370 lost contact with air traffic control on March 8, 2014 early in its flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

It had 239 passengers and crew onboard and is regarded as one of the greatest aviation mysteries.

The lack of information about what happened has led to accusations of a cover-up and conspiracy theories.

More than 20 pieces of wreckage have been found, many by US lawyer and amateur investigator Blaine Gibson who decided to search independently.

Only small amounts of debris from MH370 have been found. Photo / Getty Images
Only small amounts of debris from MH370 have been found. Photo / Getty Images

Weeks says she's not going to let her husband's memory disappear and it is incumbent upon Malaysia Airlines to find out what happened to those on board.

"It is their plane, their responsibility, they're the ones that promised they would bring them home and now they are just giving up," she said.

"It is a commercial airplane, it's not just about us, it's about everybody that flies. We need answers, Boeing needs answers, the Malaysian government needs answers, Malaysia Airlines, the whole lot need to know what happened.

"We will keep fighting, if Malaysia thinks it's just going to disappear on them, they have got another thing coming. I'm not going to leave him out there or wherever he is, we're not going to leave our loved ones out there."

Weeks said while the search was going on the families at least had hope that they would find out what had happened.

Other relatives expressed their disappointment and anger, including Jennifer Chong, whose husband Cong Ling Tan was a passenger and is suing the airline, and KS Narendran, whose wife Chandrika Sharma was on board.

The Voice370 support group for victims' families called for nations, aviation industry groups and people to put pressure on Australia, Malaysia and China to resume the search.

The MH370 Tripartite Joint Communique from the three countries on Tuesday said they remained "hopeful that new information will come to light and that at some point in the future the aircraft will be located".

"Despite every effort using the best science available, cutting edge technology, as well as modelling and advice from highly skilled professionals who are the best in their field, unfortunately, the search has not been able to locate the aircraft."

But the communique didn't acknowledge the Australian Transport Safety Bureau findings of December 20 in which a team of international experts identified a new area of 25,000 sq km north of the current search zone as having the "highest probability of containing the wreckage of the aircraft".

The reasons given are that the area is not specific enough to continue the costly search.The last search vessel left the area yesterday.

"The decision to suspend the underwater search has not been taken lightly nor without sadness," the ministers said.

"We again take this opportunity to honour the memory of those who have lost their lives and acknowledge the enormous loss felt by their loved ones."

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 26 Apr 2017 20:11:36 Processing Time: 475ms