No charges to be laid over school bus death

By Greymouth Star staff

Police and paramedics at the scene where Mahuri Bettjeman-Manawatu was run over and killed by a school bus. Photo / Keira Stephenson
Police and paramedics at the scene where Mahuri Bettjeman-Manawatu was run over and killed by a school bus. Photo / Keira Stephenson

Police have decided no charges will be laid over the death of a 5-year-old boy who was hit and killed by a school bus on the West Coast last year.

Mahuri Bettjeman-Manawatu had just been dropped off by the bus after school when he was hit as the bus turned the corner while he was crossing the road in Hector on August 22.

The accident was witnessed by a number of other children, including the boy's brother.

West Coast area commander Inspector John Canning said that after investigating the circumstances, no one would be charged.

"There was no criminal liability on the driver of the bus,'' he said.

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 27 Dec 2014 19:16:03 Processing Time: 456ms