A New Zealand man is dead after a "brawl-type" bar fight on the Indonesian island of Bali.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs staff have confirmed the man's name is Sean Headifen.
MFAT staff are helping family members in New Zealand and Mr Headifen's girlfriend who is still in Bali.
A spokesman for the ministry said consulate staff are also liaising with police.
Up to seven people were being questioned in connection with the 22 year-old former soldier's death, his relatives and friends had been told, the Dominion Post reported this morning.
Mr Headifen's mother, Merrill Headifen, said she understood her son had became involved in a "brawl-type fight" in a bar overnight on Saturday, but it was unclear how it had started.
Miss Headifen, who learnt of her son's death on Sunday, said she had been told a barman threw a bottle or glass at his head.
Mr Headifen was taken back to where he was staying with his girlfriend, Sarah, and floated in and out of consciousness during the night.
The couple tried to get medical help, but did not have enough cash on them to pay for an ambulance and did not have travel insurance.
His girlfriend tried to keep Mr Headifen awake, but she eventually fell asleep and when she woke up he was dead beside her.
She returned to the bar with police that morning and identified those involved in the fight.
Mr Headifen grew up in Levin and had served with the New Zealand peacekeeping force in East Timor.
A Foreign Affairs Ministry spokeswoman said embassy staff in Jakarta had been providing advice and support to the family.
"They're also providing consular assistance to his travelling companion."
- NZPA & NZ HERALD STAFF