Next year's Wellington Sevens will be held on Saturday January 30 and Sunday January 31, and here are seven reasons why you should be there.
Inventive, off-the wall costumes, groups of mates having a blast, and fantastically fast seven-a-side rugby - the international Sevens tournament is one of the biggest events on the capital's calendar. Next year's event, at Wellington's Westpac Stadium, will be held on Saturday January 30 and Sunday January 31, and here are seven reasons why you should be there.
1. Tickets start at just $37 for all-weekend access to the fun at Westpac Stadium. Whether you stay all day Saturday and Sunday or just pop in to people-watch for a few hours is up to you.
2. Bring the kids along for as little as $7 per day. There is a Family Zone at the event with a close to the action on-field seating area where kids can interact with players, as well as entertainment and free kids food packs.
3. Experience Wellington's cultural delights. The capital offers many wildlife encounters, from Wellington Zoo to Zealandia in Karori and even a Seal Coast Safari to the rugged South Coast.
4. Oriental Bay is just a 15-minute walk from the action and is the perfect place to take a dip if your costume gets too hot.
5. Wellington offers some of the country's best cafes and top notch coffee. Fuel up after a big day - or night - at one of the city's hidden laneways or waterfront restaurants.
6. Explore the coolest little capital on an iconic Croc bike, or on foot. Wellington is so compact that most of its attractions can be reached without the need for a car. Make the most of the sunshine with a guided historical or nature tour with the free Welly Walks app. Best of all, the stadium is only a short trip away from the CBD.
7. The Sevens is the last chance to see New Zealand's All Blacks Sevens team before they start on their final Road to Rio. Scream your lungs out supporting the boys and give them a great send-off before their 2016 Olympic challenge heats up.
Go to sevens.co.nz for more information.